In the early 1950’s, this community was known as Amherst View Subdivision. Its beginnings date back to the development of land by Imperial Chemical Industries of Canada Ltd. just west of Amherstview (as it is now known). This area has grown tremendously in the years since its development. It now has a population of over 6,000 people.
Amherstview is known for its recreational facilities. The W.J. Henderson Recreation Centre houses a swimming pool, ice skating rink, and a public library. A designated area of the parking lot can be used by for skateboarding and in-line skating. The Amherstview Golf Club is an 18-hole course that will challenge every level of golfer. The gentle terrain at Amherstview is walking friendly for golfers of all ages.
Fairfield House was built in 1793 on the shore of Lake Ontario. It is one of several wood frame houses that are still around from the Loyalist era. A member of the same family built a similar house on the lakeshore in Bath to the west of Amherstview. In 1959, the Fairfield House became the property of the Province of Ontario, which entrusted it to the St. Lawrence Parks Commission.
Fairfield House and Fairfield Park on Amherstview’s waterfront offer guided tours from Canada Day until Labour Day. Fairfield House and Fairfield Park are easy to find. Watch for the Gates marking the eastern end of the Loyalist Parkway.