Preparing your Deck Application
In order for the Loyalist Township building department to process your application for a building permit to construct a deck there are two drawings which you must include.
- A site plan showing location of the deck and distances to lot lines and if applicable distance to the house (see checklist for more information)
- A plan for your deck
Your Deck Plan
A plan for a deck does not require the same detail as a house plan and can therefore be easily produced by a homeowner. If you do choose to draw up the plans for your deck there are several items which should be included so that we can process your application.
- Material and sizes for joists, beams and posts; including spans
- Height of deck above finished grade and railing height above finished grade
- Material for pier supports
- Dimensions of the completed deck including
- Outside dimensions of the deck
- Spacing between beams, joists and posts
- Section of deck using sample drawings as guideline, should include:
- Construction of railing including connection to deck
- Beam connections detail
- Height of deck and railing height
- Detail showing connections between posts and pier supports and connections between beams and posts
If a deck is not designed by you, it will then have to be prepared by a qualified designer and a form 1 will have to be completed.
Deck Permit Package