Glenwood Cemetery on Amherst Island
This island cemetery is located at 2052 Stella Forty Foot Road, about three quarters of a mile from the ferry dock , directly southeast of St. Paul's Presbyterian Church. It is for the use of all religious denominations.
The first burial was made in this Cemetery on June 22nd, 1886 when Alexander Glenn's remains were interred in a field of barley. Subsequent planting of maple trees gave the cemetery its name. Many of the original trees still survive.
The original cemetery was purchased in 1886 for one dollar by the former Township of Amherst Island from Robert Perceval-Maxwell of Groomsport House, County Down, Ireland. It included approximately two acres of land and provided for 1,000 burial plots, plus suitable walkways. In 1977, a further two and a half acres of property for burials was purchased which provided another 760 spaces, many of which are still available.
The cemetery contains a stone burial vault (no longer in use) dug into the slope which was built in 1886 to house bodies that could not be interred as a result of frozen ground.
Many transcriptions and photographs of headstones can be found at the Cemetery Project.