St. John's Cemetery
St. John's Cemetery is located at 216 Church Street (County Road 7) Bath, Ontario and is owned and operated by the Anglican Church.
In the year 1793 William Fairfield donated the land for the St. John's Anglican Church and its surround for a Cemetery. In the early days, not much care was given to the upkeep of the Cemetery and families had to take care of their own plots. As more burials occurred a greater interest was taken and "work bees" were set up to rake and maintain the property.
In the 1800's a single plot sold for $1.50, a small plot for $8.00, and a large plot for $10.00.
In 1984, three students were employed to help restore the 170+ year old cemetery. The project included leveling graves, planting grass seed, repairing tombstones, erecting fallen tombstones, and mapping the graveyard.
There are still many graves to this day that have no tombstones or have stones still standing but, sadly, with inscriptions that are illegible.
The first recorded burial was conducted by Reverend John Langhorn for Benjamin, son of David and Eleanor Ros of Ernestown on March 12, 1788.
Today all the archives are held at the Diocese of Ontario,
90 Johnson Street, Kingston
Telephone: 613-544-4774 - Archives ext. 28.