Ontario Heritage Plaques
The Bath Academy (1811)
Location: 352 Academy Street, Bath
Founded in 1811 by means of local subscriptions, the Bath Academy operated briefly as a public school before being requisitioned as a military barracks during the War of 1812. It later reopened and by offering an extensive curriculum gained an excellent reputation for scholarship.
Daniel Fowler (1810-1894)
Location: Near 14005 Front Road, Amherst Island
A long-time resident of Amherst Island, Fowler received much public acclaim for his watercolours. He painted local landscapes, flowers, and still-life compositions in a highly realistic style enhanced by a strong sense of colour.
The Escape of the Royal George (1812)
Location: Highway 33 West of Bath
In the first significant naval action on the Great Lakes during the War of 1812, the British Warship Royal George escaped its American pursuers by adroitly navigating the gap between Prince Edward County and Amherst Island. After an exchange of fire in Kingston harbour the following day, the American fleet was forced to withdraw.
The Fairfield House
Location: 4174 Highway 33, Amherstview
Built by William Fairfield, Sr., a loyalist from Vermont, this handsome clapboard house was completed, according to tradition, in 1793. Six generations of Fairfields occupied the house over the next 150 years. Maintained by the St. Lawrence Parks Commission since 1959, the house has been restored and is now a public museum.
The Founding of Bath
Location: Finkle Shores Park, Highway 33, Bath
One of the oldest communities in Ontario, Bath was first settled in 1784 by discharged soldiers from Jessup’s Rangers. A sheltered harbour and road connections with Kingston stimulated economic development and by mid-century Bath was a prosperous point of trade.
The Hawley House
Location: Near 531 Main Street, Bath
Built in the 1780s by Captain Jeptha Hawley, a loyalist from Vermont, the Hawley House is probably the oldest remaining house in the Bay of Quinte area and one of the oldest in the province. The stone portion of the building was added the following decade to provide living quarters for the Reverend John Langhorn, the first resident Anglican clergyman in the district.
Lieutenant-Colonel Edwin Albert Baker (1893-1968)
Location: Near 4989 Highway 33 (west of Amherstview near Parrott's Bay)
As a result of being blinded while serving with the Canadian army in Belgium in 1914, Baker devoted his life to the rehabilitation and training of blind people. He played an instrumental role in the formation of the CNIB in 1918 and served as its managing director from more than 40 years.
Madeleine de Roybon d’Allonne
Location: Near 4872 Highway 33 (just west of Amherstview)
The daughter of a French nobleman, Madeleine de Roybon (c. 1646-1718) came to Fort Frontenac (Kingston) about 1679. On land granted to her by La Salle she built a house and barns, grew crops and grazed cattle, and established a small trading post. She was the first known female landholder in present-day Ontario.
The Reverend John Langhorn (1744-1817)
Location: Near 212 Church Street County Road 7
Born in Wales, Langhorn was appointed missionary to the Bay of Quinte in 1787 and became that region’s first resident Anglican clergyman. A man of strong character, Langhorn energetically served the area for 26 years from his headquarters in Ernestown (Bath).
For more information on these and other historical plaques within the County of Lennox & Addington, please visit Ontario Plaques.