Loyalist Township waste disposal sites in Violet and on Amherst Island both accept waste electronic items, as designated by the Ontario Electronic Stewardship under the Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE) program.
Electronic waste taken to the waste disposal sites is periodically transferred by a registered transporter to recyclers and end-use processors. This diverts these items from the waste stream, which both extends the life expectancies of the waste disposal sites and ensures that any hazardous components are disposed of responsibly.
A listing of the designated equipment is shown below. Other details pertaining to the WEEE program is available on the Ontario Electronic Stewardship website.
- Floor standing printing devices including printers, photocopiers, multi-function devices
- Scanners, typewriters
- Telephones and answering machines
- Cellular phones and pagers
- Audio and video players and recorders (eg. MP3, cassette, digital)
- Cameras (web, digital, analog)
- Equalizers, (pre)amplifiers
- Video players/projectors, digital frames
- Video recorders
- Personal hand held computers
- Desktop computers
- Portable computers
- Computer peripherals (keyboards, mice, hard drives, optical drives – CD, Blueray, DVD, HD-DVD)
- Desktop printing devices including desktop copiers and multi-function devices