Tax Billing Cycle & Payment Options
Tax Billing Cycles
Interim/final tax billings, installment due dates
Most property owners will receive two municipal tax bills from the Township each year.
- The interim tax bill, representing 50% of the previous year's tax bill, is payable in two installments, due on the last business day in February and April.
- The final tax bill is the balance of the year's taxes, and is payable in two installments, on the last business day in June and September.
Supplementary tax billings - new construction and property changes
Supplementary and omitted tax bills are sent out as a result of a change in your property during the taxation year. These changes can include, but are not limited to: new residential homes, new commercial, residential or multi-residential units, changes in tax classes, additions or renovations to buildings and previously exempt properties that become taxable.
These bills follow the Property Assessment Change Notice issued by MPAC. MPAC is responsible for assessing the properties and forwarding the information to the Township for billing. Sometimes these bills can span more than one year depending on when an MPAC assessor is able to visit your property.
Supplementary and omitted tax bills are usually issued twice per year (early fall and late fall) and are in addition to any other tax bills that may have been issued. Each bill includes the effective date and change reason. They are due in two instalments and notice is provided at least 21 days before the payment is due. Please contact MPAC (phone: 1-866-296-6722) for questions regarding the assessment amount used to calculate a supplementary bill or the number of days indicated on the bill.
Tax Payment Options
Preauthorized payment plan:
Preauthorized payments are automatically debited from your bank account, which ensures your property taxes are always paid on time. Two plans to choose from:
- Through monthly pre-authorized tax payments:
- From January through September, instalment payments are estimated at an increase of 5 per cent of the previous year's tax levy
- October instalment payments are adjusted to reflect increase/decrease in the current year's total levy. Final tax bills will be mailed out on this program.
- On this program you will not receive an interim tax bill in the mail.
- Your taxes must be paid in full to qualify
- Please note: supplementary and additional tax bill payments cannot be withdrawn automatically.
Use the Pre-authorized Tax Payment Application to have your property taxes automatically debited from your bank account on the four installment due dates outlined above (February and April for the interim bill, June and September for the final bill).
Property owners who have registered for one of the preauthorized payment plans will note the following sticker on their tax bills:
Through your bank:
Use your bank's online or telephone banking service, or pay at the teller or ABM. Select bill payee (Loyalist taxes) and input your 19 digit roll number for the account number (omit any spaces, dots, or dashes). Payment can be made at most financial institutions on or before the due date. Financial institutions may charge for this service.
Please be aware of your bank's processing times to ensure your payment is received on the due date.
Through your mortgage company:
The above-illustrated sticker means that at the time we printed your bill, we had a mortgage company on file for your property. If a lender is no longer responsible for remitting taxes on your behalf please let us know, or if you have switched mortgage companies from the one listed on your tax bill please let us know.
The Township is not responsible for facilitating communication between the lender and the property owner. This is solely an arrangement between the lender and the property owner when it comes to the remittance of property taxes. It is the property owner's responsibility to ensure property taxes are paid.
24-hour drop box:
Payments may be dropped off at the following locations;
- Municipal Office, 263 Main St, Odessa
- W.J. Henderson Recreation Centre, 322 Amherst Drive, Amherstview
- Bath Fire Station, 241 Church Street, Bath
- Amherst Island Ferry Office, 955 Stella Forty-Foot Road, Stella
Please do not place cash in the drop box.
Please make your cheque payable to Loyalist Township and mail it to:
PO Box 70, 263 Main St
Odessa, ON K0H 2H0
During office hours (see bottom of page) at Municipal Office, 263 Main St, Odessa
If you require proof of payment, please bring your tax bill to the Odessa Municipal Office to be receipted free of charge.