Back Yard Hen Public Consultation
Loyalist Township does not currently have a By-law regulating the ownership of back yard chickens, hens/other birds. By-law enforcement receives calls ranging from inquiries about owning backyard hens to nuisance complaints. When a complaint is received the only means of enforcement is through the Noise By-law and the Property Standards By-law.
With the growing popularity of owning backyard hens and the inquiries the Township receives, the Township is investigating an array of options to regulate backyard hens, which includes,
- Remain Status Quo. Respond to backyard hen/other bird complaints through the Safe Yards and Noise By-law.
- Establish a Pilot Program to allow residents to own backyard hens for 2 years through a licensing program.
- Prohibit the ownership of backyard hens through a by-law.
With this background information in mind, we invite you to complete a short survey. It should take no more than five minutes of your time. Your input is essential in assisting with developing a By-law to regulate backyards hens in the Township. To access the survey, please click on the link below.
The survey will be available from July 15 to August 30, 2019.
Paper copies of the survey are also available by contacting the Clerks Department at 613-386-7351 ext 120/121 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
We also encourage residents to attend any of the in-person engagement sessions scheduled as follows:
- July 31, 2019 from 6-7:30 pm at the Administration Office in Odessa, 263 Main St. Odessa
- August 7, 2019 from 6-7:30 pm at the Amherstview Fire Station, 363 Amherst Dr. Amherstview
- August 8, 2019 from 6-7:30 pm at the Bath Fire Station, 241 Church St. Bath
For more information about the survey or the engagement sessions please call 613-386-7351, ext. 120/121, or email email@example.com.
If you need Loyalist Township information in another format, please call 613-386-7351, ext. 100, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.