Amherst Island Ferry
(Please scroll down for ferry service information.)
Ferry Dock Construction
The temporary ferry docks are now in service and end-loading ferry operations have begun. Signage and flaggers are on-site in the first days to assist with the transition. The attached brochure gives an overview of the changes to marshalling and parking at both Stella and Millhaven.
The Ministry of Transportation is constructing new ferry docks at Stella (Amherst Island) and Millhaven.
- The project began in October 2017 with Stage I, the construction of the temporary docks.
- Stage II has seen the ferry operations move to the temporary docks. Concurrent with this move, the Frontenac II permanently converted to end-loading operations, meaning vehicles now load on and off facing forward. The use of the temporary docks has also brought changes to the marshalling and parking areas on the docks.
For the duration of this project, the most current information will be posted on the project's website, maintained by MTO's general contractor, Rankin Construction. Construction activities will also be updated on the project's Twitter account.
The Amherst Island Ferry Service operates between Millhaven Wharf and Stella Wharf and is operated by Loyalist Township on behalf of the Ministry of Transportation. Service is provided on a daily basis, year round.
Ferry leaves Stella on the hour, 6:00 a.m. to 1 a.m.
Ferry leaves Millhaven on the half hour, 6:30 a.m. to 1:30 a.m.
Crossing time 20 minutes.
The ferry will not be held for late arrivals.
Millhaven Dock (Mainland) - 5604 Highway 33
(GPS Coordinate: Decimal Degrees -76.741, 44.193)
Fares (payable by cash or cheque only):
- Car, truck (under 1 ton), van, farm tractor or small school bus - $9.00
- RV or car with trailer, large vehicles requiring up to two vehicle spaces, or large school bus - $18.00
- Large vehicles and trailers or equipment requiring more than two vehicle spaces - $9.00 per space used
- Motorcycle - $2.00
- Bicycle - $1.50
- Book of 25 round-trip tickets - $100.00
Note: An administration charge of $20.00 will be added to the fare for any motorist with insufficient funds to pay fare. The administration charge is required to cover costs incurred to prepare an invoice.
- Regular ferry maintenance is usually scheduled in advance and often advertised in local newspapers, the Township website, ferry dock signboards, and household mailing to Island residents.
- Prolonged unexpected breakdowns are announced on local radio stations and a message will be on the ferry office phone (613-389-3393). The Amherst Island radio station, CJAI 92.1 FM, or email firstname.lastname@example.org can be contacted if there are any announcements to be made concerning the ferry service. Service updates will also be posted on Twitter, @island_ferry and on Facebook.
- Cell phone use while loading and unloading the Ferry is prohibited. Please pay attention and follow instructions from the ferry staff.
Size guidelines for larger vehicles:
The ferry has now converted to end-loading operations and as such, previous maximum length restrictions no longer apply. However, vehicles are still restricted to a maximum overhead clearance of 13 feet. Should you wish to load a vehicle exceeding that height, please contact the Ferry Office to discuss your particular instance; or bring the vehicle to the ferry dock for a test fit.