Alert - COVID-19 Updates

Read More

Loyalist Township

Current Weather
Change Font Size A A
Emergency Services

Rodent Prevention and Control

Whether you own property or rent, live or work in Loyalist Township, everyone has a role in rodent prevention. Rodent proofing your home and property is the most important factor to prevent and control these pests.

Pest Control Responsibilities

Pest control on private property is the responsibility of the homeowner.  If you require professional services you may wish to contact a licensed pest control company.  Visit for local pest control service providers.

Tips to Control Rodents on your Property

Eliminate Food and Water

Eliminate Shelter & Harborage

For information and tips on how to help prevent and control rodent infestation please visit the Government of Canada website.

Are you experiencing rodents inside your home?  Contact KFL&A Public Health at 613-354-3357 or visit KFL&A website for more information on Rodent Infestations

Property Standards By-Law
Loyalist Township Property Standards By-Law No. 2002-34 and amendment 2009-40 outlines responsibilities in section 3.9 Yards and Property:
3.9.5   All yards, property and vacant lots shall be kept clean and free from termites, rodents, vermin and other pests and any conditions which might result in the harboring of such pests.

If you feel a neighbors' home is in disrepair or has garbage and debris on the property which could attract rats please speak to By-law Enforcement at 613 386 7351 ext. 123 or 100. 

Landlord and Tenant Responsibilities
The Residential Tenancies Act, 2006 protects tenants and helps landlords.  The Landlord and Tenant Board helps to resolve landlord and tenant disputes including landlord and tenant rights and responsibilities under the Act.

A landlord is responsible to make sure that the property is kept in a good state of repair, is fit to live in and meets all the health and safety standards that apply.  However, both the landlord and tenant have responsibilities when it comes to fixing rodent problems. The landlord may have to arrange to treat the unit for pests and the tenant may have to do some work in the unit to prepare for these treatments.

A tenant experiencing problems with pests should talk to their landlord, superintendent or property manager immediately. The tenant should ask them in writing to fix the problem and keep a copy of this letter for themselves. The landlord will need to fix the problem within a reasonable time.  If the landlord does not fix the problem the tenant may:

If the landlord is trying to fix the problem and the tenant is refusing to cooperate the landlord can provide the tenant with a 7 day notice to cooperate before ending the tenancy. If the tenant still does not cooperate with efforts to treat the pest problem the landlord can file an application with the LTB to evict the tenant.

Please visit the Landlord Tenant Board website for more information on mice and rats which can be found in their Frequently Asked Questions.